Very helpful, thanks - I'd heard that it can make them "disassociative" when they're coming out of it - not knowing where they are, etc.

Gloria

At 03:26 PM 5/11/2006, you wrote:
Acepromazine for a cat? This was first choice sedative? WOW! Tough stuff for kitty IMO, especially since he's riding in cabin with you.

We only use this in cats to induce anesthesia sometimes. It dilates their pupils a lot and stays in their system for a day or two depending on how fast your their metabolism is. We also use it for animals that go home after exstensive surgery and they need to stay still (like bone breaks, etc...). Their appetite will decrease to almost nothing and sometimes they won't want to eat at all. Personally, I wouldn't use it, not for a 2 1/2 hour flight.

~ Rachel

Operation Foster Felix
<http://www.operationfosterfelix.org>www.operationfosterfelix.org
Sharing Our Hearts, Homes & Litter Boxes

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys." --Chief Dan George
----- Original Message -----
From: <<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <<mailto:felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 4:20 PM
Subject: OT: sedative before flying (ACE)

Hey folks,

I'm flying to Minneapolis on Saturday, a 2.5 hour flight from LIttle
Rock, and taking a sweet, energetic young Siamese kitty to his
owner.  Kitty will ride in the cabin with me.   I've never taken a
kitty on board with me before, so a new experience.

The vet gave me a sedative, ACE., and am pondering whether to use the
sedative or not.  Someone said that another option would be Benadryl,
along with Rescue Remedy.

Any experiences with taking kitties on flights?  With ACE?  Think the
dosage was 1/2 tablet followed by 1/4 if needed.

Thanks much!

Gloria