I do believe the vaccines are worth it.   And as far as rabies............I've worked at shelters, with ferals, etc.... and even though there's a small chance I might get rabies I do it anyway............ and I have not gone and got the rabies shots like lots of animal workers do.  (That's for my own happiness....  I hate shots!)

I think most of the people on this list who have a cat have very lucky cats.

Tad Burnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Or is the real question...What if the risk from the vaccine is greater than the disease it self..
Like small pox...
Tad

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In the spirit of acceptance and being able to share ideas - I, myself, mix FeVL+ and FeVL- cats.  Are there risks?  Yes.  Knowledge is power, however, and that is why I vaccinate the ones who are negative and take additional precautions in keeping litterboxes extra clean - keeping food and water dishes extra clean - and pay more attention to frequently washing bedding and keeping shared areas disinfected.  There is scientific evidence that the virus is contained in the saliva.  Scientific evidence as recent as March 2006.

Nobody I know has ever contracted rabies.  I don't know of any pets personally who have gotten rabies either.  I could probably let all my cats run free and they might never contract rabies.  That, however, would be irresponsible - in my view - knowing the risk is there and not taking preventative measures.  Ancedotal evidence indicates that my cats probably won't get rabies.  I disagree, however, that veterinarians and expert websites should change their information to include this ancedotal information.

Is ancedotal evidence important?  Yes - it is...and it is extremely valuable.  But there has to be a balance between scientific evidence and practical application.  Both are valuable.  It is also extremely important to recovery that the cats feel loved, safe, and unstressed.  Diet is also very important.  All of these things go toward making life better for all of us...not just the cats.

I respect your opinion.  I also respect your right to disagree and I appreciate the opportunity to contribute to the discussion.

Elizabeth

*Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.*