I trim the spots that Miranda wont let me brush (the private parts). Most vet offices can do a "sanitary clip" which removes the hair from the butt, inside the rear legs, and up under the tail. A good conditioner may help in your case, though I don't use them myself on my cats, I know many purebred people swear by them for longhairs. MC could probably suggest a few good ones for keeping the coat mat free, she's the Persian person on this group. OR, just go join a Persian cat yahoogroup, and ask what they use. They are the hardest to keep groomed breed, I believe, so if it works for them, it should work for you.

There are combs special made for breaking up mats, with blade type teeth that cut through the mats. Search for matbreaker comb, or dematting comb. I usually try to finger pick out the mats I find, if you are patient, you can usually pluck at them and loosened them up and get them out without much hair loss if they are new mats (less then 3 days old).

Phaewryn

Please adopt a cat from Little Cheetah Cat Rescue!!! http://ucat.us/adopt.html
Low cost Spay&Neuter services in VT, and Emergency Financial Assistance for cat owners:
http://ucat.us/VermontLowCost.html
Special Needs Cat Resources: http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html
The Sofa Poem: http://ucat.us/sofapoem.html
Please shop online through i-give and support the Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Program:
http://www.igive.com/FVEAP
Shop at GREAT stores, like Drs. Foster & Smith, Pet Food Direct, Musician's Friend, and LOTS more!
It doesn't cost you a single penny more, and it makes so much difference to a sick cat in need!
Checked by AVG Free Edition.