I think you're right, they haven't narrowed it down to one variety yet.  I also read where it's not any more common in pure-breds than in alley cats.

Gloria

On Nov 8, 2006, at 2:16 PM, TenHouseCats wrote:

i don't think that they've identified WHICH variety of FCoV yet, have they??????? if they have, why can't they culture for it/run a specific titre just on that strain, and save so many of us so much agony????? (only partially kidding.....)

i'm still unclear on whether stress or genetics CAUSE the mutation--could the predisposition for mutation be there genetically and be triggered by stress? and i haven't seen any real evidence that sanitation or lack thereof is truly a causative agent--that it was ASSUMED to be, back when FIP was thought to be contagious.... i know that dr addie talks a lot about that, but not so much about the genetic info that's coming out--and in a breeding situation, or multi-cat one, if FIP is going through the place, sanitation is a good place to start--but in a cattery, of course, or anywhere else with family groups, the genetic component could well be the most important element....