 -----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 1:12 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: OT: Bart & Charty are now safe!!!! W/ me!!!

  I know this is OT, but I have written about Bart & Charity, my ferals to
the list...... And off list to Nina & Kerry......
  The other night, we had a (short) blizzard here........ And, my room mate
was off on an appt. & I had to walk my dogs after feeding. (NOT easy, I am
so afraid of slipping & falling & losing my K-9 babies).
  Anyway, after feeding, when I was out with my Rottie, I heard these
"sweet" cat sounds - turns out it was my dear Charity, she has come around
so much, and her "talking" sounded like she wanted my help.....
  Well, my Rottie is deaf, and I am almost blind.... I couldn't see her, and
(Lady)Bug couldn't hear her, but when Bug SAW her, BAM ------ thought for
sure I was going down.  And Charity has "no fear" of dogs, so she proceeded
to approach me....   And, Bug is STRONG, and even pulling her leash back,
well, w/ all my "problems", it was tough......
  I finally got Bug back into house and went back out, into the blizzard, to
see if I could get Charity...... I was out for over THREE hours!!!!!  I was
able to scruff her when in yard, but she freaked (NO claws!!! She has come a
long way...).  But, having hardly any use of my right arm, I had to let her
go......  So, "we" decided to go out to barn......
  And, while there, guess who comes out????? BART!!!!  I was shocked!!  He
had been in the blankets, etc. I have over crate, I guess "trying" to keep
warm......  But, I was there w/ food, and he came out.......
  By this time, over 3 hours, I had to sit down in my recliner to rest......
And, then, Charity, and Bart, come up, rub against my legs, so I figured the
time was right!!!  I reached down, scruffed Charity, then found out, she
"allowed" me to just hold her.......  So, I had to make the long journey
back to house, with her (peacefully) in my arms...... (I had closed the barn
door, and left the food in the well-insulated crate for Bart....)  My main
fear was Charity freaking once we got in house 'cause my dogs, 4 BIG, are
very loud......They love cats, but, can act weird when a new one comes
in..... Thank heavens, after I gave them a talking-to when entering, none of
them barked, got up, or did anything....   So, I got my Charity into a large
crate and there she remains....... (She was tested - negative, but that was
over a year ago....And w/ my Puma, recently being diagnosed w/ FIP & toxo,
well, I didn't want to expose any of my babies.... Charity will be
re-tested, and we'll go from there...)
  Back to Bart..... When I got back to barn, he was in crate, so I closed
the door....  When I looked him over, well, now I am really concerned......
He is so bloated!!!!  Thought maybe I got a diff. pregnant female, but, he
still has his equipment.......  And, Bart, was always SO feral, I could
never get close to him.  Now, he allowed me to pet him, seemed to like it.
But, while stroking him, I could feel his backbone.....And other bones.....
Made me wonder just what his problem is..... Also, his eyes are "clouded",
like cataracts or glaucoma (?).....  He also looks OLD..... Probably is,
he's been around here since I've been here...2 1/2 years now...  So, I
wormed him, and did not find anything in his feces...And, as bloated as he
was, I figured if it was worms they'd be as big as a snake.....  But,
NOTHING....I even used my magnifying glass.
  I worry now that maybe it's FIP..... (A very recent topic on list lately.)
I called my rescue partner & she is going to get us a vet appt.  But, before
I neuter him, I am going to have him hospitalized 'til we get all the blood
test results back...... Depending on "what" the results are, I will be faced
w/ having to decide what to do.....  I do have another rescue buddy that has
converted her barn into a shelter, w/ indiviual homes, I just don't
know......
  So, Bart is still in crate in barn......  It's very well insulated, and,
when I was "able", I had insulated parts of barn, filling cracks, etc.....
I just worry 'cause we're in a deep-freeze.  He has a good bed, lots of
thermals, and the crate is also insulated, w/ thermal on the outside.......
But, it's so cold and he's so old.....
  He is eating, and I do venture out (slowly & carefully) to feed and water
him daily.  One thing I noticed, his water only had a partial skim on top,
not frozen thru.  So, I guess the barn is pretty well insulated.....
  Just pray we can get to vet early this week.......
  I would have written sooner, but besides being over-whatever, my room mate
was NOT too happy..... But, I told him, da-m it, I survived the MVA 'cause I
have work to do - and it IS my rescue work!!!  And, prior to getting Charity
& Bart, I was ready to call it a day....So depressed, I "questioned" my
reason for still being alive..... Now, knowing Bart & Charity are safe, that
gave me a reason to go on....
  He at first told me, Charity could NOT be in house, blah-blah-blah, but it
seems he has changed his mind about them being here.... Even remarked that
at least now they are safe, warm, well fed, being taken care of....  Guess
he "saw" just how much this meant to ME!!!!
  Anyway, sorry this is so long, besides being OT, but I just had to
share......
  Please, put Charity & Bart in your prayers, or whatever venue you
follow......
  Will update when I find out more.
  Any ideas on Bart's "bloated" condition?  And, yes, he IS skinny...... And
old.....
  Hugs,

  Patti and her clan