From: Giselle de Grandis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Friday, August 8, 2008 6:01:29 AM
Subject: [Felvtalk] Healthy dry foods?

Hi everyone,

You haven't heard from me in a while because everything with Pixie, my
3 y/o positive, is going well at the moment. Except I'm running low on
dry food...

I'm at the bottom of my huge bag of Nutro Choice Complete Care Adult
Indoor dry food so I called my local pet store to order more and
learned it's very hard to get in Europe right now (I live in the
Netherlands, BTW). I got three different reasons for the shortage from
three different pet stores: 1. Dutch importers aren't bringing in
Nutro from California anymore, 2. A Nutro factory in Hungary burned
down, 3. EU competition laws have banned Nutro. The last vendor (an
online retailer in Austria) promised he could get me the Nutro Choice
if I'm willing to wait several weeks. So I'm wondering what to do.
Should I order more ASAP and wait for it to arrive? Or should I do
some research and find a better alternative?

I'm not very knowledgeable about cat nutrition, especially for
special-needs kitties. But Pixie likes the taste of this Nutro Choice
dry food and I like to imagine that the ingredients are above average.
But are these ingredients ACTUALLY good for her? (Please note the beet
pulp and vegetable fibers, etc.):

" Ingredients:
chicken meal, ground rice, corn gluten meal, rice flour, poultry fat
(preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), sunflower
oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E),
flaxseed meal, tomato pomace, brewers dried yeast, natural flavors,
dried beet pulp, mixed vegetable fiber (carrots, celery, beets,
parsley, lettuce, watercress and spinach), potassium chloride,
menhaden fish oil, oat fiber, soy protein concentrate, cranberry
powder, choline chloride, taurine, dl-methionine, vitamin E
supplement, dried egg product, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulphate,
ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), L-carnitine, inositol, dried
bacillus licheniformis fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtilis
fermentation extract, lutein, dried chicory root, yucca schidigera
extract, niacin, copper sulphate, manganous oxide, vitamin A
supplement, garlic flavor, biotin, riboflavin supplement (source of
vitamin B-2), beta-carotene, calcium iodate, calcium pantothenate,
pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B-6), vitamin B-12
supplement, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B-1), lycopene,
vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of
vitamin K activity), folic acid, sodium selenite. "

The Nutro Choice packaging advertises the following benefits:

*  Reduces caloric intake, prevents weight gain
    * Well-balanced protein and fat help keep your cat fit
    * Linoleic Acid, zinc, and important vitamins improve skin and coat health
    * Less shedding, fewer hairballs
    * Natural ingredients with vitamins & minerals
    * Easy to digest for sensitive stomachs
    * Distinctly improves skin & coat
    * Reduces stool volume and odor
    * Less Magnesium

So I'm at this juncture -- should I make every effort to get more of
this Nutro Choice Complete Care dry food since Pixie likes it and
seems to do well on it (despite some belching)? Or should I try to
find something better and hopefully more easily available in Europe?
Your suggestions are most welcome! I'd be nervous, however, to start
Pixie on a raw food diet since I know nothing about this and I'd have
to prepare the food myself (time-consuming and gross for a
vegetarian?)

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

Giselle & Pixie