Hi Jackie,

My name is Wendy and I have been a member here for about 3 years.  I joined
after my 4 year old cat was diagnosed with FeLV and got sick.  My other three
(all 4 indoor) had already been exposed as they'd lived together since Cricket
was a kitten.  All 3 had been previously vaccinated for FeLV, but the
vaccinations were not current when Cricket came into the picture.  Cricket died
from anemia shortly after I joined, which I think that we could have reversed
had I known what I know now about the disease.  None of my others ever
contracted FeLV.  I do believe that it's difficult for adult cats, even elderly
cats (we lost our 18.5 year old in Dec. to kidney issues and she'd been around
Cricket all that time), to contract it from general contact or sharing
food/water/litter boxes.  I think kittens are much more susceptible.  I do
believe in mixing pos with vaccinations/neg adults if needed, but that is only
my opinion based on what I've learned
 here and personal experience, not based on scientific evidence.  The
veterinary world is much more cautious because not enough is known about the
virus.

:)
Wendy

 "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change
the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!"     ~~~ Margaret Meade
~~~