Hi Wendy,

They do make a top-opening litter box:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0002ZS20I/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=284507&s=kitchen

But maybe Pepper is objecting to the texture of the litter on her paws?
Have you tried using different litter - or even an empty litter box?

Also, if nothing else works, you could get some of the doggy "pee pads" to
put under the box - that way the urine gets absorbed by the pads & makes
clean-up much easier.

Good Luck!

Kat (Mew Jersey)