I am a member of this list who doesn't get a chance to spend time responding
to posts, but I would like to encourage those looking into sanctuaries to be
sure to visit them if at all possible and that is a great idea about asking
what happens to the cats or the sanctuary if the founders die or can no
longer care for the animals. That is an essential part of questions to ask
all sanctuaries as there are a lot of them out there that make the rest of
us look 'bad'  it seems. I am the director and co-founder of C & W Rustic
Hollow Shelter in Iowa and I know Laurie and MC and Sharyl are familiar with
our work and we always tell people if they are thinking of taking any cat to
a rescue or sanctuary they absolutely should go themselves or send someone
they know to check it out. We have solid plans to continue past us and our
board would make the decision at that point to not take any more cats except
those who are planned to come here when it is time, or to go ahead and
continue the sanctuary as it is now. We have five buildings at this time and
are building a sixth one this fall.  But your ideas are so 'right on' about
visiting places and finding out the plans for their future. Great ideas.
Also, our FeLV areas have cats that are over 5  years and lost one this
summer who was 18 and had one other live to be 19 years ago. That's the
exception not the rule, however. Five years is a critical period for FeLV
kits and sometimes no matter how much  you do for them, the end result is
the same. Our philosophy is it is 'quality of their lives, not the quantity"
and that is what we strive for. Carmen and furballs at C & W Rustic Hollow