Janine, as long as the kitten can get the FeLV vaccine and booster before being
exposed to their cat they should be fine.  I will tell you my Stormie story.

I had caught 2 kittens from a dumpster colony I was feeding.  Took Rocket and
Sissy to the vet and they tested FeLV+.  Vet recommended PTS for them and the
entire colony.  Needless to say I didn't do that.

There were also 2 gray kittens a couple of weeks older.  I was able to catch
Stormie.  Took her to the vet and she tested negative.  I had Sissy and Rocket
in a taming cage in the garage.  Since Stormie was negative, she took up
residence in the bathroom for 2 weeks.  Started with the usual kitten shot.
Stormie got her FeLV vaccine when she got the 2nd series of kitten shots.  She
got a booster 4 weeks later.  After the booster I mixed all the kittens.  That
was almost 2 yrs ago and all 3 are still doing fine.  All my negative cats get
the annual FeLV booster.

It is hard to find good homes for kittens this yr.  As long as you or the
family can isolate the kitten until she gets the vaccine and booster the kitten
should be fine.
JMO
Sharyl