From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Amy Ackerman
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:18 PM
To: Felv talk
Subject: [Felvtalk] Grrr went to the bridge...

I haven't posted much since Grrr was diagnosed back in the spring, but I
have been reading and learning.
Sadly, my big nasty boy stopped eating a couple of weeks ago.  He spent a
week at the vets receiving fluids which perked him up a bit, but he would
deteriorate quickly when the IV was stopped.  My husband and I spent a long
time with him on Monday evening, and he made it plain to us that he was
tired and ready to go.  We stayed with him while he was sent to sleep, and
true to his nature he bit the vet and myself one more time for good measure
on the way out.  It sounds a little twisted, but none of us could stop
laughing about that in the moments after he was gone- wiping away tears all
the while.  It was as if he was talking to us- "I'm ready to go; thanks for
the good times, and don't you ever forget who the boss is here, you
jerks!"We should all be lucky enough to have our parting message be heard so
clearly by our loved ones.
We miss his big nasty self around here.  The dog and the other cats have
been walking on egg shells, testing their new limits carefully, as if they
expect him to pop around a corner at any second and reestablish his
dominance.  The other cats still will not go near his bed or food dish.  The
dog, who weighs 140 lbs., still will not enter Grrr's favorite room.  Even
in absentia he is respected.
To all of you who contribute to this list, thank you so very much.  I have
no doubt that the knowledge I gained here added time and quality to Grrr's
life, and I've shared much of what I've learned with my vet, who has been
eagerly absorbing the information; other FeLV+ cats in my area will benefit
from my experience with Grrr.
Thanks again all.  Sleep easy, my good boy.  We miss you more than words can
say.