Have you considered setting up a trust and including the house in the trust.

--- On Tue, 12/21/10, Natalie <at...@optonline.net> wrote:

From: Natalie <at...@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Finding homes for cats upon death
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 5:47 AM

We had actually set up a Foundation, but now find that we will change it to
a Fund instead.  Advice from lawyers was non-existent, I had to find out the
hard way.  We are also thinking of leaving the house to someone who would
continue the work, but again - how does one trust someone to do that - and
who should oversee it - it's not easy. What really gets to me, as a rescuer,
is how relatives of someone who dies could just ignore their pets, whether
it's one or many!  I get those calls, and always ask "your mother, aunt,
uncle, etc. loved the pet(s), don't you feel some kind of responsibility to
care for them?  It falls on dead ears.  When my mother died, I couldn't take
her cats because they were elderly, used to their spaces, some very skittish
rescues...I tried contacting Chicago rescue groups, not to place them, but
to see if anyone there might be interested in taking care of them.  Two
young women and a man from a well-known group (Treehouse) happened to be at
a conference on the East Coast, and came to be interviewed. All seemed fine,
until he found out that there was a basement and that he could play his
drums there....need I say more? Through a friend, I found a woman who had
her own 12 cats and needed to move - bingo!  There's only one cat left now,
and I could easily bring him here, but at almost 18, Arsenio is too old, and
I might as well wait until he dies without disrupting his life. I also
contacted veterinarians in the area.  The thing to watch for is someone who
wants free boarding and may not take good care of the animals.  There must
be someone to oversee them, too - but who?  A lawyer who doesn't know squat
about cat care?  We have the cats and dog in our will, but there are so many
details to think of, and you know that something will be forgotten! Whenever
I get a call from someone whose relative died, all of this comes into focus
again.  And I don't have all the answers.  Maybe we could all pool our
thoughts on this????
Natalie