To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Fleas

For you house, I recommend diluting Dawn dishwashing liquid soap (supposedly only the Blue Dawn works) and spraying it all over and under your furniture, walls floors - I couldn't get rid of my house fleas until I tried that last home remedy - and I think I've tried them all. The Dawn soap one works! It supposed to work as a desiccant and is one of the few I found that actually works on adult fleas, not the larvae. Put as much as your comfortable with,
I put a sqeeze or two in a small spray bottle.

For cleaning, I use white vinegar (straight) although you can dilute that
too if you want, and that is also supposed to be something fleas hate, or it
kils them...sorry I forget exactly on that one...

For putting ON the cats, I second the capstar ,

Frontline...eh. You could also carefully rub FOOD grade diatomaceous earth
powder in their fur. Be warned it's like drywall dust and extremely drying but it's an option. Food grade is ok for cats (and humans) to digest. I had one cat who would roll in it ( I dropped a small pile of it on the basement
floor) and he was my flea indicator. :)

I wouldn't recommend putting it all over your house it's messy, and the
small particles are not great for the lungs....I'd definitely stick with the
soap.

I had more success with the Dawn.

On another note - if your cat has flea allergies, and licking themselves
bald, I've found that giving them Hylands bioplasma tablets fixed that. The
one cat I have who does and had licked himself bald comes running for his
almost daily or sometimes twice daily pills when I shake the bottle. The
others I gave them to, come intermittently now when I shake the bottle, but
my little Hobbie was desperate for them. Over the winter, he didn't want
them as much but he's started to ask for them again now.

Dana