Forwarded from the Feral Cat Chat list

Somewhere Sam

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: "ethnedra...@yahoo.com" <ethnedra...@yahoo.com>
To: Cindy Sikes <sike...@verizon.net>; Tess Robinson <tessheyw...@gmail.com>;
feral-cat-c...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, August 25, 2011 3:15:53 PM
Subject: [feral-cat-chat] Interesting information  about the Felv Snap
test...PLEASE READ

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
________________________________

From:  "Val Garcia" <va...@cox.net>
Sender:  dc-res...@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:15:08 -0400
To: Val Garcia<va...@cox.net>
ReplyTo:  dc-res...@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DC-Rescue] . Some very interesting information  about the Felv Snap
test...PLEASE READ

Very very interesting about the Snap test….  I wonder how many have
unnecessarily put to sleep…

________________________________

I just learned some very interesting information about FELV.  ???  had three
cats test positive for it, when they knew that it was very unlikely ( neither
the mother nor any of the other kittens in the litter tested positive, after
repeated tests and they had the mother with them for a while before birth. One
of the vet volunteers followed up. She had blood drawn at Caring Hands Vet and
sent to Auburn University College of Veterinary medicine Pathology Diagnostic
Services , which does some different tests, at about $30 cost.

Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine Pathobiology Diagnostic
services says that the Idexx SNAP test can cause a positive result because some
cats have a reaction to the cat serum in the test. They did two other tests on
all three cats using a blood test called IFA as well as by another ELISA test
called Symbiotics Viracheck. All three cats tested negative on both tests. And
they concluded that they had reacted to the serum used in the Idexx SNAP test!!

Also we should get the word out that the Idexx tests can cause false positives>

The number of the Auburn   University facility is 334-844-2690

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully
Featured

Visit Your Group  | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use  | Unsubscribe