From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Beth
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 7:22 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] (no subject)

Yes, that is correct. A positive Elisa & a negative IFA means the Cat IS
positive, the virus is just not replicating in the bone marrow yet. That's
why I worry when people get so excited about a negative IFA. It really only
means the cat may still throw off the virus.
It's strange your vet didn't make that clear. But then some vets seem
clueless when it comes to this virus.
Hoping for the best for your babies.
Beth

GRAS <g...@optonline.net> wrote:

>Hi, everyone:
>
>OK - I guess this is where I should come in and explain about what
>happened to me, based on the note below:
>
>If anyone can remember, about 3 1/2 yrs ago, Eliot Spitty,  was
>diagnosed by the ELISA test to be FeLV positive.  I couldn't find him a
>home, so I found another positive cat for him after 2 years of him
>being all alone (they became close buddies almost overnight). After I
>joined the group, I learned about the IFA test, had them both tested in
>June, they were negative.  I introduced them to the rest of the cats (I
>operate a cat rescue group from our home).  Eliot died of renal failure in
September (euthanized), and Mr.
>Tux being such a snuggle bunny, was adopted three weeks ago to a home
>where another cat was adopted from me over 10 years ago.  A week ago,
>Mr. Tux started losing appetite, and developed 105 temperature.  The
>woman's sister is a veterinarian, knowing his history, she immediately
>tested him ELISA & IFA - both were positive, and his virus is already
>in his bone marrow. They are heartbroken because their 7-yr old
>daughter and Mr. Tux fell in love at first sight - he slept under her arm,
the other cat, Riley, at her side.
>The cats were friendly, but not close (but as we know, FeLV is a very
>sneaky virus). They will have to test Riley in about 5 weeks, Mr. Tux
>went to live with the vet who has a real animal-loving 3-yr old and a
>dog (Mr. Tux likes dogs). Bottom line is:  All my cats have been
>exposed to Eliot and Mr. Tux since mid-June.  Since the youngest and
>oldest or not-so-healthy cats are at most risk, I started with our
>6-month old Hammie who was only 5 weeks old when he came to us.  We
>also tested a cat that had to have another blood tests for his ongoing
>renal problem - both were NEGATIVE! However, little Hammie has a 1045.2
>temperature, yet was exposed to Mr. Tux long enough to have shown
>reliable results.  Hammie had an episode of unknown origin in September, of
104.4 temperature.

>I will test the youngest ones first, then the oldest and weakest.  The
>"middle class" will come last.  I don't know what the results will be,
>I hope that they're all OK - but if it isn't, I am already doing
>research into natural things, changing their diets (even if it means I
>have to cook for them).  I am re-reading Anitra Frazier's The New Natural
Cat and Dr.
>Pitcairn's Natural Health for Dogs and Cats - have had the books for years.
>Will also check out my Nicholas Dodd The Cat that Cried for Help, maybe
>there's some advice ion there.
>
>The more I read about the tests, the more it becomes obvious that even
>if the IFA comes back negative after a positive ELISA, it only means
>that the virus just isn't in the bone marrow yet.  If the cat tests
>positive on ELISA and negative on a follow-up ELISA, then the cat is
>negative.  Unless, of course, the ELISA was a false positive, and again
>a false positive, which I assume can also happen - there are so many
>variables, and it's a shame that so many false positives occur, and so
>many vets tell people to euthanize their cats just because they have tested
positive.

>I have privately sent some info I found to the other two who have
>reported cats diagnosed with FeLV, too large to send to this group. I
>will send it to Lee as well.
>
>I am keeping my hopes up that my household won't become a FeLV clinic..
>
>Natalie
>
>=^..^=

her as if she's a pending fatality.