Hello, Our FELV positive neutered male cat approximately 1 and ½ years old has
gotten very sick suddenly.  He is a house cat, and he was neutered in May of
2019.  Would you please let us know what we can do to help our much-loved cat?
A few days ago, he became lethargic and lost interest in eating.  We had his
blood drawn yesterday and he had iv fluids yesterday, and today we were told he
needed a blood transfusion (or two) and more iv fluids, and then a bone marrow
test tomorrow.  We were told that the first blood transfusion today was not
very effective because he got so many iv fluids at the same time, so now they
are going to give him another transfusion.  As background, we rescued him as a
stray from Barbados in October 2018 when he was about 6 months old, and he has
been healthy, active, happy and gaining weight, despite being FELV positive.
Since October 2018, we cured him of giardia and bartonella henselae.  On
12/31/2018, he tested positive for the ELISA and IFA, although his blood work
was in normal ranges at that time.  In 03/2019, we started giving him 1 t-cyte
shot once per month, and we started giving him 1ml of interferon per days for 7
days on and then 7 days off, repeated.  We have continued the interferon and
t-cyte in this manner ever since 03/2019.  Just yesterday, here are the results
of his blood work:

Tests                             Results                Ref. Range
              Units

Total Protein                  6.1                           5.2- 8.8
                      g/dL

Albumin                         3.5                       2.5- 3.9
                   g/dl

Globulin                         2.6                       2.3- 5.3
                    g/dL

A/G Rat io                      1.3                0.35- 1.5

AST (SGOT)                  106 (HIGH)           10-100
       IU/L

ALT (SGPT)                   39                        10- 100
              IU/L

Alk Phosphatase            40                        6- 102
                IU/L

GGT                              1                          1- 10
                       IU/L

Total Bilirubin                    0.1                       0.1- 0.4
                      mg/dL

BUN                             15                        14- 36
                 mg/dl

Creatinine                      0.9                       0.6- 2.4
               mg/dl

BUN/Creatinine Ratio   17                         4-33

Phosphorus                    4.4                       2.4- 8.2
                 mg/dl

Glucose                        178 (HIGH)                                   64
- 170                                        mg/dL

Calcium                         9.3                    8.2- 10 .8
                    m g/dL

Magnesium                    2.0                       1.5- 2.5
            mEq/L

Sodium                         153                      145-158
               mEq/L

Potassium                      4.6                       3.4- 5.6
                  mEq/L

NAIK Ratio                     33                        32-41

Chloride                    121                      104-128
            mEq/L

Cholesterol                    94                        75- 220
                mg/dl

Triglyceride                    108                      25-160
               mg/dl

Amylase                       611                          100-1200
                 IU/L

PrecisionPSL(tm)              10                         8- 26
             U/L Acute pancrea titis is unlikely. Chronic pancreatitis is not
excluded

by a norm al PrecisionPSL(tm).

CPK            711 (HIGH)                  56-529     IU/L

WBC                             20.5 (HIGH)        3.5- 16.0
          10'/µL

Corrected for NRBCs

ABC                              2.5 (LOW)            5.92-9.93
              10°/µ L

HGB                           4.5 (LOW)            9.3- 15 .9
                g/dL

HCT                                                           29-48
              % '

The hematocrit in th 27. (Normal range 29-48). A recent study has indicated
that >23% of anemic cats are infected with one or more species of hemoplasma
and several studies confirm that PCR is significantly more sensitive in
detecting hemoplasma.

MCV                              57                        37-61
                      fl

MCH                             18.2                     11-21
                    pg

MCHC                          32                        30-38
               g/dl

Poikilocytosis                 Slight

NRBC                           9(HIGH)                                      0-1
                                          /100 WBC

Blood Parasites                       None Seen RBC Comment

Rouleaux Moderate

Platelet Count             78 (LOW)            200-500
           10'/µL

Platelet count reflects the minimum number due to platelet clumping.

Platelet Estimate            Adequate

Differential                    Absolute      o/o

Neutrophils (LOW)        1640             8      2500 - 8500
               /µL

Bands                                                 0

Lymphocytes (HIGH)   17630            86    1200 - 8000
                                  /µL

Monocytes (HIGH)        1025                5     0-600                 /µ L

Eosinophils                    0                      0      0-1000
                 /µ L

Basophils (HIGH)         205                  1      0- 150
                      /µL

FREE T4 BY EQU ILIBRIUM D IALYS IS (Pending)
UR INALYSIS- C OMPL ETE

Collection Method Cystocentesis

0.8- 4.0                              µ g/dl

Color Appearance Spec ific Gravity pH

DARK YELLOW TURBID

1.056                                                  1.015- 1.060

7.0                                                      5.5- 7.0

Protein

2+ (HIGH)

NEGATIVE

Urine protein:creatini ne ratio testing is recommended (if the sediment is
inactive) to he lp determine the clinical significance of proteinuria.

Glucose-Strip

NEGATIVE

NEGATIVE

Ketones

NEGATIVE

NEGATIVE

Bilirubin

NEGATIVE

NEGATIVE

Occult Blood

NEGATIVE

NEGATIVE

WBC

NONE

0-3

HPF

RBC

NONE

0-3

HPF

Casts

NONE SEEN

Hyaline 0-3

LPF

Crystals

NONE SEEN

HPF

Bacteria Epithelial Cells

NONE SEEN NONE SEEN

None Seen

HPF HPF

Fat Droplets

>50

HPF

RETICULOCYTE COUNT REFLEX

Reticulocyte Total Abso lute Ret iculocytes

0.6                         0-1                  %
15000                  <45,000               JµL

Would you please let us know what we can do to help our cat?
Thank you, Wendy