Hi Amy,

As so many others have said, 'welcome', but I'm sorry you had to find us.

Homer sounds like a wonderful guy and he is surely lucky to have you as a Mom!

You've received wonderful suggestions; and I think all your questions were answered except for the administration of the Interferon.  It does need to be administered orally (it's a tiny amount) with a syringe and it is absorbed through the mucous membraes; so, if Homer is cooperative, you just open his mouth and squirt.  With Chappy, I used to target the tonsils.  If there is no other way to get it into him, you can mix with wet food, but it is not as effective.

If you could dedicate a room to Homer, that would be best for all the reasons that have been mentioned.  If it can't be done, it can't be.  Everyone's situation is different.  There is a farm near me who will take FeLV+ cats for an adoption fee (it's a horse rescue) and they live indoor/outdoor lives.  They have access to the house, barns, and the plain, old outdoors.  I was actually kind of shocked when I first heard about it a few years ago, but you know what? Those cats seem to do pretty well. They get Interferon, lots of attention and since so many were accustomed to being outdoors, I think it's psychologically helpful to to them to maintain that status.

I would add extra protein to Homer's diet; my favorite is chicken.  Just cook it up, remove any bones, and let him have as much as he wants.

It would also be great if they could determine the cause of the seizures; is kind of sounds like they came on quickly.  Is there any chance he could have been kicked by a horse? This happened to a small dog at a stable I was at many years ago; the dog didn't suffer permanent injury, but any blow to the had could bring on seizures.

Sending big hugs to you and to Homer!

Julie

"I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is
to protection by man from the cruelty of man. "

by the way its animals are treated."

Mohandas Gandhi (1869-1948)

Paws Come WITH Claws - If you're thinking about de-clawing your cat, you need to re-think your decision to acquire a pet.

Do you Yahoo!?