message from "Jonathan Horniblow (Talking Newspaper Services)"
<jonat...@talking-newspapers.co.uk> to festival-talk
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
According to http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis/#S3.2.4

"The pitch contour is defined as a set of white space-separated
targets at specified time positions in the speech output. The
algorithm for interpolating between the targets is processor-specific.
In each pair of the form (time position,target), the first value is a
percentage of the period of the contained text (a number followed by
"%") and the second value is the value of the pitch attribute (a
number followed by "Hz", a relative change, or a label value). Time
position values outside 0% to 100% are ignored. If a pitch value is
not defined for 0% or 100% then the nearest pitch target is copied.
All relative values for the pitch are relative to the pitch value just
before the contained text."
eg: <prosody contour="(0%,+20Hz) (10%,+30%) (40%,+10Hz)"> good morning
</prosody>

Wow! What could be simpler and more fun? Only pulling one's own
toenails out, it seems.
Festival and most other TTS seem to be able to handle prosody pitch
curves. For festival, it's something like ..
http://cvs.freebsoft.org/doc/festival-freebsoft-utils/festival-freebsoft-utils_23.html

This looks like the kind of thing that could benefit from something
like being able to literally draw prosodic contour lines onto words or
sentences which really needed fine tweaking.

It sounds like the sort of thing that could be done with jquery and
html5, but I tend to have this habit for googling for an already
invented wheel, not finding it, spending 3 wheels learning a new
wheelmaking craft, only to have someone come along saying "dude, just
use this ready-built hovercraft templace" (or something).

Crap analogy, I know, but if anyone DOES know a less painstaking way
of easily figuring out prosody pitch curves, then please let me know
and I'd be very grateful.