With my guild I have taught a number of people how to spin at
Stitches West and other places.  The hooked stick and wool is useful,
but we generally start them out with a simple spindle (either CD or
toy wheel) and well-prepared medium (not too fine or slippery) wool.
First I explain and demonstrate the 2 parts of spinning -  drafting
and twisting.  Then I have them try a little drafting, then try the
whole thing.   I often have them put in twist, then hold the spindle
between their knees as they draft so the spindle doesn't drop.  I saw
another guild in Northern California (don't know the name, but they
were at the Boonville festival) that drew arrows on the spindles (CD)
to show which way to spin them for a singles, which I think is a
great idea.  I think a wheel is also a great way to teach beginners,
especially because instead of holding the spindle, they can just not
treadle in order to concentrate on drafting.  The one disadvantage is
that if they don't own a wheel, they won't get a chance to practice,
practice, practice.  Another thing that is very useful is the
pamphlets spin-off makes on beginning spinning.  We give them to
everyone we teach.

Jessica in NYC and Berkeley, CA
--
Jessica Ellen Sewell
Assistant Professor/Faculty Fellow, The City

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail