The fibers themselves are probably not toxic but don't breath the
fumes if they should catch on fire because the fumes ARE very toxic.
As are the fumes from Styrofoam.  In fact almost everything that our
furniture is made out of (stuffing, synthetic fibers, press board,
etc.) is toxic if it burns.

Katy the Urban Eagle living out in the "wilds" of northern New
Mexico, off grid and sustainably as possible <G>

On Oct 31, 2005, at 9:54 AM, Gabrielle Menn wrote:

>  My maid of honor, the woman that taught me to spin and weave, was a
>  dental assistant and developed a latex allergy.  That, in turn,
>  developed into sensitivity to other "manmade materials" allergies.
>  So, she can't wear acrylic, polyester or nylon.  Typing on a
>  keyboard also caused a reaction.  For my wedding, she made her
>  dress from silk.
>
>  California maintains a list of chemicals, natural or manmade, that
>  are "known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth
>  defects or reproductive harm."  (California Prop 65)  So, while
>  pumping gas at the gas station, where the warning is posted for
>  petro chemicals, it dawned on me that plastics essentially come
>  from the same source.  I read an article on oil, how its processed,
>  and what all is made from it in its various stages of refinement.
>  So, pardon my ignorance, but, I'm curious to know what makes gas
>  made from oil, 'toxic' but not fabric made from oil not 'toxic'.
>  I'm not a scientist and certainly no expert.  But wouldn't that
>  certainly create a boom for natural fiber products if...
>
>  Gabrielle
>

>>  I like your allergy to Manmade fibers (big smile).

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail