In my experience, feeding precarded locks in, tip
or butt end first, makes for a *much* nicer batt
and a lot easier to spin, besides.  If I want a
messed-up batt, I'll just spin roving--easier to do :)

I card mostly medium wools like Perendale, soft
BL, and the occasional softer Romney, plus of
course lots of Shetland.  These wools have a
longish staple--usually at least 5"--and tangle
rather than properly card if not fed in from one
end of the lock.  I also card finewools like
Merino quite a bit, and their silky handle means
they can tangle easily, too, so again, I feed them
in end first.

I've shown students the differences between batts
made from various fiber preps.    For example,
using fiber that's been picked by a commercial
picker, but not commercially carded; fiber that's
been teased; fiber fed in whichever way; and of
course fiber that's been precarded.  None can
compare to the quality of batt I can get from the
precarded locks fed in tip or butt first.

If I want a true-woolen yarn, I won't use the drum
carder; I'll handcard instead.  Spinning from a
rolled drumcarded batt, pretending it's a giant
rolag, isn't much fun, in my experience.  There's
just too much fiber packed into even a lofty batt
to spin as well that way as a properly-carded rolag.

I guess it depends on what sort of spinning
experience you want.  I like effortless drafting
and long-draw because, for me, it's the fastest
and easiest way to spin.  That equates to batts
from precarded locks fed end-first.

Holly