On Jan 12, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Mary & Bob Pratt -- Elihu Farm wrote:

> Ron, The winter weather in UK and Europe has been in the news here in
> the US. How much snow  and cold do you have in Sweden?  (Just looked at
> weather underground, and discovered a wx map for Sweden.
> http://www.wunderground.com/global/SN.html ( Is the coast of Norway
> really around +40F? )

Yep, it's true. The Gulf Stream goes by. Not so in Sweden where the
temps are unusually cold with below zero F temps.

> The Northeast has been very cold, but that does happen here. We're
> supposed to be used to it HA. The people in the South are really
> freezing, much colder than usual there.

I check temps in MN to make me feel warmer here.

> Chores take forever on these days. Frozen water buckets to empty in the
> a.m. Eggs to collect often so they don't freeze. Extra grain for the
> lambs, which are outside with big bale feeders full of baleage. Don't
> want to give the impression we do all of this ourselves. We were
> farming
> full time for quite awhile before we  hired 'real' help, instead of
> limping along with various high school or college kids after school or
> on weekends. But it's still tough in this cold, especially with nearly
> all the sheep outside 24 hrs a day.

We always lamed starting April Fool's Day. The ewes were out all Winter
with no problems. Shearing was in late March, then they had access to
an open barn free choice.

> Now we're heading for a warm up, which will be welcome. Maybe the ewes
> due to lamb can go out on a neighbor's field with portable fence.
> Meanwhile, it's time to bring in the dozen or so pregnant ones, for
> mid-February lambing. I used only one ram for that group, Dickens, a
> recessive-colored Romney. A good test to find out if we have some girls
> with recessive color genes. If not, we'll have recessive color
> carriers.
>
> Mary in eastern NY\\

Have fun!

Ron