John Howell wrote:

> [...] I will
>never need and never use 90% of its fancy bells and whistles, and neither
>will our students.  Sibelius sounds better and better to me for what the
>average musician, not the professional engraver, needs in a program.

Hm, I guess "bells and whistles" is in the mind of the beholder, eh?   I
tend to think of the document settings and special tools as the nuts and
bolts of the program, and for me the "bells and whistles" are the various
out-of-the-box templates, wizards, and goofy plug-ins that try to write the
music for you. [*]

I think you're right on the money that, relative to other programs, Finale
is oriented more to the professional engraver and less to the average
musician.  You're also right that average musicians are the much more
significant market, and if Finale is going to remain viable, it needs to
pay better attention to the needs of those average musicians.  An unhappy
consequence of this reality is that we may very well see Finale evolve in a
way as to become less useful for professional engraving, and general
engraving standards may very well decline as a result.

A similar thing happened with non-music typography with the advent of
desktop publishing. Publishing is a big enough market that traditional
standards mostly survived, but not without some adaptation. Even at the
highest levels of professional publishing there are a few minor ways in
which inferior DTP standards have asserted themselves, and in the vast
range of middle-level professional work one sees quite a bit of typographic
sloppiness which would have been considered unprofessional 20 years ago.

I expect the same thing will happen -- is happening -- with published music.

MS Word is perhaps a good model for Finale. As much as I dislike Word, for
various reasons, it does manage to combine out-of-the-box immediacy with
quite a bit of control over the appearance of the document for those who
care to take the trouble.  It's still not my application of choice for
publishing (I too like FrameMaker), but the way in which it does all your
thinking for you by default, but is willing to get out of the way
(mostly...) when you know better, is probably the best professional
engravers can hope for if Finale is to compete with programs like Sibelius.

I don't mind all the default features like automatic this and automatic
that, so long as I can turn them off when I don't want them and I still
have reasonably convenient access to all the underlying data.

mdl

[*] I must confess -- although I realize this is very eccentric of me -- I
still haven't got past thinking of all MIDI and playback functions as
"frills".  I wouldn't expect my word processing application to read my
letters out loud; why should a notation program be different?  I use Finale
to write the music on paper, not to play it.  That's what instruments and
musicians are for.