Darcy James Argue wrote:
> All major Mac applications (with
> the exception of Quark and a handful of digital audio apps)

This "handful of digitial audio apps" cannot be so lightly dismissed.
(Read on.)

> So what's wrong with Coda?

More to the point, what's wrong with OSX? One of those digital audio
apps you dismissed is Performer, which if you recall is also a major
MIDI app. (perhaps *the* major MIDI app) for Macs. I think it no
coincidence that these programs are lagging behind the curve.

Apple has promised impressive built-in features for both MIDI and
digitial audio in an unspecified upcoming release of OSX. I believe that
rather than rolling their own MIDI and audio drivers, many music
programs (esp. those committed heavily to MacOS s.a. Digidesign and
MOTU) are waiting for these to be available before releasing OSX-native
versions, and I can't say I blame them. Coda delaying Carbon a year may
be evidence of a strong commitment to using the new OSX midi features.
If so, I'd rather wait.

Meanwhile, if Finale runs acceptably in Classic mode, the only thing
you're really missing is the transluscent blue aqua buttons. Personally,
I don't give a flip about those. Crash recovery and memory management
are bigger deals, but Finale is quite well behaved in both those departments.

--
Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com