At 8:40 PM 06/02/02, David H. Bailey wrote:

>Speedy isn't that hard -- the way I use it is to keep my right hand on
>the cursor keys, and my left hand available to hit the number keys on
>the top row to change duration.  Depending on how short or long the note
>values get I usually keep my middle finger on either the 4 or 5 (for the
>8th note or the quarter note) and I find this to be the fastest method
>for me.  It is a very short reach to hit the = key for ties, the + or -
>for sharps or flats, the . key for dotted rhythms.
>
>Others will hopefully chime in with their modus operandi

You don't have a number pad?  I'm used to ten-key anyway, since one of my
other jobs is doing accounting. (I even use the number pad in
word-processing: for example, if I'm typing a phone number.) I keep my
right hand on the number pad, where I have all the numerals and the dot in
easy reach -- along with +, - and * for accidentals, / and = for beams and
ties, and clear and enter for chords and rests.   My right thumb covers all
four arrows, which are just to the left of the lower part of the number pad
on my keyboard.

My left hand covers the 21 letters that move the cursor vertically, as well
as the shift and option keys. For moving the cursor vertically, I go back
and forth between using the letters and using the up and down arrows,
depending on how much the line is jumping up and down.

mdl