>Yet many who support government funding of art are repelled by the notion of
>government support of religion. Why?

IMNSHO.  For one thing, religion is "organized" and art isn't.
Public radio and TV are as close as we come to having public
supported lobbying organizations of any size.  And they do not have
as much emotional power over their "followers" as religions do.  For
another, art is the means by which a culture is transmitted from one
generation to another.  If we believe that American culture is worth
preserving, we need to support the arts.  Unfortunately, at the
moment, sports is the essence of US culture.  Some of us don't
believe that constant, primarily physical, competition is the only
way to live a happy successful life.  But that is our current legacy.
The arts have traditionally given people a way to express themselves
without infringing on someone else's rights.  Anyone who wonders how
our society has become so violent and sex-oriented needs to look
inward.  What options do we give our children?  What do they see on
TV and in movies and hear in their music?  How are our children
taught to release intense emotions?  What can we expect?

How many countries with religious governments are healthy?  Religion
breeds fanatics in far greater numbers and in far more violent
strains than art does.  Few people are willing to kill others for
art.  Many people are willing to kill those who disagree with their
religious prejudices.  The US is either a so-called Christian nation
or it is a pluralist society.  The Constitution tries to preserve
pluralism by putting restraints on those who would impose their
religious beliefs on everyone else.  I attend church every week and
serve on the altar as well as sing in the choir, assign the altar
servers and work with kids choirs.  But that doesn't mean I think
this church has all the answers.  I oppose any government involvement
in this church or any other religion.  But I do what I can to support
the arts.  I wish more people did.  And I wish more artists were less
rather stupidly confrontational.  The arts might not get the flak it
does now.  At least they aren't physically violent.

Shelley Huston, MusiCopyist, [EMAIL PROTECTED]