>Can those "arts" organizations also contribute to our current and future
>culture?  Yes, of course.  But not by competing directly with the
>overwhelming and very healthy market forces that govern popular "arts."
>These "serious" arts are aspects of our past culture which existed, grew
>and flourished as entertainment for the upper classes, whether nobility or
>merely wealthy.  They still are.

This is a classic bit of American cultural prejudice. It's simply
untrue, and basically confuses the music's patrons with its
consumers. In the radio business, the audience for classical radio
stations has traditionally been summarized as "doctors, lawyers,
teachers, and musicians." Hardly the upper crust. As I said in a
*every*  culture that has developed a classical tradition are the
intelligentsia. The wealthy and powerful *patronize* the music in
order to keep the intelligentsia happy. New classical music created
now is in no different a social position than that created in former
times: it has *always* been a minority taste, and it has *always*
been  subsidized, both in its creation and its performance, by rich
and powerful figures who seldom have much actual interest in the
stuff itself (the totally unmusical JFK is a good case in point), and
who more often than not have provided support via the government
which they directly or indirectly control.

--
Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press

http://www.kallistimusic.com