At 11:22 AM 7/11/02 -0400, Andrew Stiller wrote:
>OK, I've entered flutes, obs, clars. The General Midi clarinet is TOO
>LOUD, so, per advice, I go to the MIDI tool, select the staff, choose
>Continuous Data from the Midi menu and enter controller 7: volume,
>click OK, choose Percent Alter from the Midi menu, enter 50% and
>click OK. Nothing happens. Playback is totally unaffected. What now?

Two ways -- invisible (easy) and graphic (more specific & harder):

1.
Choose Midi tool.
Select the staff.
Choose Midi Tool, Edit Continuous Data
Choose controller 7, volume
Enter (say) 64
Since volume stays until you change it, entering the value on the first
measure will remain unchanged until it encounters a change.

2.
Choose Midi tool.
Double click the staff you want.
The Midi window will open above the staff.
Choose Midi Tool, Edit Continuous Data
Choose controller 7, volume
In the Midi window, click-drag across the area you want to affect.
Choose Midi Tool, Set to
Enter (say) 64
Since volume stays until you change it, entering the value on the first
measure will remain unchanged until it encounters a change.

That should do it.

The reason nothing changed: When you choose percent alter, it starts with
zero, so it remains unchanged. Once there's a value in place, you're set to
go. Keeping track of volumes is tricky in this window, as the only place
you'll see them is where a change occurs; otherwise, no value will be shown
in the 'bar chart' presentation.

Dennis