At 12:02 AM 07/13/02, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

[answering Christopher BJ Smith]
>> How about staff lists are remembered when using measure-attached
>> expression metatools? Or at least the staff list dialogue box could
>> open up, instead of blindly attaching metatool to ALL staves.
>
>Yes I think this would have to be part of any improvement to expressions.

Agreed, but DON'T have the staff list dialog box open up.  The whole point
of metatools is to avoid going through the dialog boxes.  Instead, have a
place where we can go to specify the default "show on" value (ie, staff
list, this staff only, or all staves).

--
At 9:28 AM 07/13/02, Richard Walker wrote:

>1. Linkage between scores and extracted parts. If I update one, the other
>should be updated automatically.

Holy smokes!  My mind boggles at the mere idea.  Make a change in one file,
and Finale will hunt down other files and change them as well?  Yikes.

I'm scared of any application that will actually open up another file on my
hard drive and change it without me asking for it. Maybe I'm paranoid, but
it seems like you're just asking for trouble with that.  Anyway, if any
program does manage to implement this, I assume it will be within some
scheme where the extracted parts aren't separate files at all, but rather
are separate "views" within the larger file, sort of like on that -- what's
it called? Mosaic?

I must admit, although in general I'm happy for others to see the existence
of features that please other users even if I don't use them, I'm a little
wary of some of your requests. You seem to be asking for the program to
take large strides in the direction of being a composer's assistant rather
than an engraving program. I'm not convinced that any program can fully be
both.

>6. Shortcuts for common transpositions. Sibelius does this very well.
>Shift-up arrow transposes up an octave, shift-down arrow goes down an
>octave. Need a coupling in diatonic thirds? Press shift-3 (main keyboard).
>Fourths? Press shift-4.

This already exists. You can use the Mass-Mover metatools to program a key
to any transposition.  In fact, aren't the basic up and down octave
transpositions predefined in Coda's templates?

I suppose it would be nice if there were more keys available for this, so
that you could have all common transpositions programmed at once, though
that's never really been an issue for me.

>11. Menu or keyboard access to all functions. Things that can only be
>clicked on are almost impossible to macro-ize.

Aha, at last one that you and I completely agree on.  I dislike anything
that can ONLY be done with a click and drag. I am a control freak, and I
want to always be able to type in the exact value I want, without having to
press my nose against the monitor glass to count pixels.

--
At 1:30 AM 07/13/02, Colin Broom wrote:

>Also, a "no playback" effect underneath "position in measure" and "beginning
>of measure" for individual expressions would be nice.

Ooh, that *is* nice.  I hadn't thought of it before, but I have a couple of
expressions in my libraries that I have in two different versions, one for
playback and one for without. It makes so much more sense to have this be
in the assigment.  Excellent idea.

mdl