On Friday, July 12, 2002, at 05:01  AM, Mark D. Lew wrote:

> All right, maybe now is a good time for a thorough discussion
> of the whole system of expression metatools.

> I've see a wide variety of complaints and requests about
> expressions in this discussion, and it seems to me that
> *everyone's* needs could be met if the entire system of
> expression metatools were expanded in a way that would make
> them simultaneously more powerful and more flexible.  I think
> this can be done without any major reworking of how the program
> treats and stores expressions, and in a way that preserves "the
> old way" as a default subset of the new way.

I have thought about your proposal for expression assignment
metatools. I find appealing but it seems to me that the whole
notion might be better implemented as a part of a scripting
sub-system. One which of course is specialized to metatool
clicks. For this reason, I would suggest that you examine the
Mac text editor "Alpha" for it's implementation of a flexible
and user customizable keybinding system. Granted, the
implementation would be quite a bit different in Finale but if
you were able to make that leap, I suggest you might be able to
distill the description to something with a greater appeal to
potential implementors. I reckon it would take about 3 months
casual examination of Alpha to attain the kind of overview
needed to see the cross-over potential to Finale Expression
MetaTools.

You can pick up a version of Alpha (compatible with MacOS 7.x to
9.x) at:

        ftp://ftp.ucsd.edu/pub/alpha/

I believe version 7.5 would be fine (can't quite remember which
OS you have right now).

Best wishes,

Philip

p h i l i p @ v c n . b c . c a