I passed the question on to the Bandchat list, asking what directors found
actually printed in scores and parts.  The following replies are
instructive.

*******************

>A question has been raised on the Finale List regarding whether to notate
>an Eb contra-alto clarinet part in bass clef at concert pitch, or in treble
>clef as an Eb transposing instrument.
>
>My questions here are, how are the parts notated in published works for
>band or wind ensemble, and at the high school level do Eb contra players
>spend most of their time reading from tuba parts?

When Eb Contra-Alto Clarinet parts are available with the score, they have
always been (from my experience) published in transposed treble clef.  Players
only use tuba parts when they are not available.

You might think that the parts are rare, given the relative rarity of the
instrument.  However,
I had treble clef transposed Eb contra-alto clarinet parts for almost every
work I
performed last year.

Andy

*********************

<< My questions here are, how are the parts notated in published works for
 band or wind ensemble, and at the high school level do Eb contra players
 spend most of their time reading from tuba parts? >>

As the low-reed doubler in one of the military bands in DC, I had for a while
the distinction of probably being the highest paid contra-alto clarinet
player in the world.  All the parts published for the contra-alto I saw were
in treble clef, treating it just like a bari sax.   From doing clinics with
high school players, if there were no contra parts, I usually saw them with
bari sax parts rather than tuba parts.  A few high school players were able
to personally adapt tuba parts, but I wonder whether some band directors were
even aware this was a possibility.

***********************

The few band scores I have seen which have had contra-alto and contra-bass
clarinets included have them written in treble clef, transposed just like
their octave-higher name-sakes.  But of course the sounding pitches are an
extra octave lower.

David H. Bailey

**********************

Regarding the scoring of the Eb Contra-Alto it would typically by seen in
the score and on the parts in treble clef.  Much, but not all, of the use of
instruments being pitched in various keys is to allow a player to switch
readily, say from clarinet to bass clarinet to contra, without having to
learn new fingerings and to keep the notes on the staff (predominantly).

If one is working on a score, however, he/she might want to work with the
contra parts in bass clef to maintain a solid perspective of where one is in
the tonal range.  I know Finale will allow you to work in concert pitch and
then transpose "at the touch of a button".  I am not sure that it would
transfer a bass clef part to treble, however.

As far as using bari sax or tuba parts as substitutes in actual practice
when a part does not exist, I have done both.  Often the decision is
dictated by the instrumentation and strength of other parts.  Strong tubas
and weak bari sax or the other way around?  Teaching a student to read Eb
parts from a bass clef tuba part is a very simple task.  They only need to
be warned and reminded from time to time about the key signature and
occasional displacement(?) of the octave.

Mention was made of a Finale chat line?  How do I get involved in that?  I
have some real questions.

David Seiberling
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

information?  Since everything got screwed up in the changeover to Mailman,
I don't trust myself to have accurate information.  Thanks!

John

John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music
Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A. 24061-0240