----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark D. Lew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I checked with a colleague who has conducted the piece.  He confirmed that
> our interpretation of the flute part is correct. (Rereading your note,
> Colin, I believe you were describing the same thing I was, but in
different
> words).

Yeah.  I'm all for scores that are as per the composer's intentions, but I
find it slightly puzzling that the nested tuplets were not put in in later
editions.  I'm intrigued to see if there are many other anomalies such as
this in the score.

> As for the bass clarinet part, he tells me that Stravinsky went back and
> forth between French and German style for no apparent reason, and then
> eventually settled on French. Looking ahead in the score I see plenty more
> clef switching.

The bass clef switch just makes no sense whatsoever.  As someone else
suggested, I thought it could have been to simply avoid collision with
another staff below, but it's not even that low a note in treble clef.

Interesting.

Colin.
----
Colin Broom, composer