My non-lawyer interpretation is that it would still be illegal, although if you own a legal copy that is unhacked, they would have a hard time prosecuting you, just as the record companies can't prosecute people for making cassettes of their legally purchased CDs even though that right is NOT in the copyright law.

Microsoft has already publicly stated that there will come a time when they will be orphaning their OS such as Win98, which won't be supported beyond next year (I think). They haven't said whether that includes handing out activation codes, but I would imagine it might well include that, since that is part of "supporting the OS" which would include making it work on someone's computer (it can't work without the activation code). Microsoft already has a timetable for their orphaning. So they will be leading the way -- and as Microsoft has already shown in the anti-trust case in the U.S., it won't matter what the courts decide, it will keep steamrolling along doing as it pleases.

And once Microsoft has paved the way and made Windows (95% of the computing market, I believe) users accept this as the normal way of computational things in the 21st century, then the little guys such as Coda won't be far behind.

And you can be sure Microsoft is learning how to grease the palms of politicians so there will be legislation making activation codes and their eventual abandonment legal, just as automakers aren't required to make replacement parts available for cars older than 10 years. But while third parties can make carburetors for a '37 Oldsmobile without violating any laws, people who create hacks for outdated will still be in violation of software copyright laws, thanks to the fine thinking and deep pockets of Michael Eisner and others (in the U.S. at least.)

Benjamin Smedberg wrote:

The question of registration code hacks is interesting to me. You own the
Finale software (it's licensed, but American law is very clear that you
actually own the copy you bought), and no bankruptcy, etc can take that
away. Is it still *illegal* to use registration code hacks (assuming that
they appear)?

By the way, if Coda (or whatever they're called now) ever stops giving out
registration codes to force people to upgrade, etc, they would be in big
legal trouble here in the US, not just in Germany.

**   Benjamin Smedberg, Director of Music    **
**   St. Patrick's Church, Washington D.C.   **
**  VOX 202-347-2713 x102 - FAX 202-347-1401 **
**           [EMAIL PROTECTED]          **
**             "Soli Deo Gloria"             **

.

-- David H. Bailey [EMAIL PROTECTED]