On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 19:06, Noel Stoutenburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> In discussing a side issue with a friend about MAC OS-X, the point was
> made that MAC OS-X is a variant of UNIX.  This leads me to wonder, given
> that 2k4 is being reconfigured to run native on Unix, er, OS-X, whether
> we might, in the near (i.e., not too many upgrades in the future) see a
> LINUX version of Finale....
>
> ns

As other people have said, it's not too likely.  Although if they wanted
to, they could separate Finale into a CLI and a GUI.  Then all they
would have to do is recompile the CLI on Linux at almost no cost, and
leave writing a GUI to the Open Source community.

In any event, I just recently started looking at other open source
notation editors.  The two I have looked at, Lilypond (with Denemo GUI
interface) and NoteEdit, look like they could be the beginning of
something good, as long as the authors keep working on it.

Another way to go is to try to use the Windows version on Linux using
Wine.  The only version I've tried using this method is 3.71, and I
couldn't get the fonts working right.  Same way with Finale NotePad.
Admittedly, I didn't try all that hard, either.  Maybe someone else has
had better luck.

--Bill