It was either on this list or on orchestralist where a couple of years ago I participated in a discussion of what a composer is, and ultimately (since there is no universally agreed upon test that a "composer" must pass) there was no concensus other than a person who puts sounds together can call himself/herself a composer.

The same can be said for "musician" -- a person who puts live sounds together.

But we each can have personal standards that we choose to adhere to, so that I can state that a person who simply noodles on a midi keyboard and prints whatever comes out through a computer is absolutely NOT a composer. And you can state that anybody who simply uses prerecorded sounds to put together a live sound (even if it means scratching a disk back and forth on a turntable) is absolutely NOT a musician in your mind.

But if you don't think a deejay is a musician, perhaps you would favor us with your list of criteria which a person must fulfill to cross your threshhold and be considered a musician?

Crystal Premo wrote:
A co-worker insists that a deejay is a musician. I say that is a load, that at most he is perhaps an editer or producer.

Can a legitimate case be made in his defense?

Crystal Premo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

.

-- David H. Bailey [EMAIL PROTECTED]