Hi fellow listers,

> I wonder if this is the call/response system that
> Sibelius uses and that Microsoft now employs, where
> the installation generates a huge alpha-numeric code
> that you have to report to MakeMusic and they return
> you an answering code.

It sounds to me *exactly* like the Sibelius method, with the exception that Coda give
us 30 days to register, whereas you only get (I think) 5 days with Sibelius.

I'd love to know whether you only get your 30 days once, or if you have to, say,
reinstall after having registered, do you get another 30 days after reinstalling to
re-activate, or do you have to re-activate straight away?

I'm guessing that you'd have to re-activate straight away, else you could simply
reinstall Finale every 30 days and never actually have to activate it, which wouldn't
be too onerous for people who want to steal it.  I don't know how Sibelius behaves in
this regard.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more of an uproar at the re-introduction of copy
protection to Finale.  Okay, so it doesn't sound as bad as the CD "dongle" from that
earlier version (I forget which, was it Fin98?), but this is *precisely* the kind of
thing we've always touted as one of the main advantages over Sibelius, and now that
advantage is gone.

> (assuming, of course, that MakeMusic remains in
> business and is willing to support Fin2004 forever).

Exactly!  What happens if they decide to stop supporting Finale 2004, but I don't want
to buy e.g. Finale 2008 or whatever?  What happens if they go out of business next
year?

I want a few more reassurances about how this system works before I put down any cash.

Best,
-WR