Title: Re: [Finale] Question about Systems Margins
At 11:43 AM -0400 8/16/03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi All,

Maybe someone could shed some light on "system margins." I've tried several ways to handle them (mostly for piano-vocals and lead sheets) and find that the easiest most efficient way seems to be to set them all to zero, and just use "distance between systems" for spacing. Is there something wrong with this method that I'm missing? Is there a benefit to adding space around a system?

Thanks for your input.

- Ken

Adding space above or below a system will prevent things that extend beyond the staff lines (ledger line notes, lyrics, chord symbols) from colliding with things like page 2 title and instrument text boxes, or from moving accidentally outside the printable area of the page.

But if you are manually tweaking individual pages anyway, setting system margins to zero is fine. Just watch for ledger lines moving off the page at the top or bottom.

The way I understand it, any space you add to system margins has to be subtracted from distance between systems to keep identical spacing. In reality, I eyeball it. I use inches rather than points or EVPUs because I can estimate these more easily.