On a double-stemmed, unison dotted note, where two layers have been involved
in creating the unison, Finale will put only one dot if the note's on a
space but two (one above, one below) it it's on a line.

I don't know if there's a notational standard for this situation, but I
don't recall seeing double dots for it. If omitting a dot on one of the
layers (EX: enter a note of the same unit but without a dot) isn't feasible
due to subsequent notes or for playback issues, is there any efficient way
to eliminate the extra dot?

And (keeping in mind we're dealing with double stems) would the position of
the single dot--above the line or below the line--be determined by where on
the staff the note is? That is, above the line if the note is below the
middle line and below the note if it's on or above it?

--Richard