At 11:38 AM 1/21/04 +0100, Johannes Gebauer wrote:
>Well, adjusting the beat chart is more work than it is worth, imo. If you
>are not bothered by the spacing problems, then that's fine for you. I am.
>Creating two measures on entry is less complicated than changing the beat
>chart, I find.

The problem is that this shows up correctly on paper, but does not transfer
correctly to a Midi file. The mid-measure bar is only a visual element. By
breaking it into two measures, you have made something that will not import
properly into a sequencer for further work.

That's why I always prefer to deal with manual spacing if it keeps the
music mechanically accurate. For me, the fewer musical workarounds, the
better.

And that's also why Finale's failure to deal with the staggered barline and
fully independent staves has been a thorn for many years -- not that even
Midi can handle this situation, at least version 1 (which we've been using
for over two decades!).

Dennis