On 30 Jan 2004, at 03:19 AM, David H. Bailey wrote:

Quite often the normal economics of the marketplace force prices on existing models to fall to a point where it is no longer profitable for a manufacturer to make and distribute them. In that case they take that model off the market and offer a replacement model at a price where there is a lot of profit again. And then that model's price drops and the cycle begins again.

But it often isn't because of poor quality or anything so they may well keep the same basic printer engine design and change paper handling or appearance or something, so my advice (before panicing about availability of cartridges) is to find which toner cartridge the replacement printer uses and if it will be interchangeable with yours.

It sounds like this is exactly what has happened with the Ricoh AP2610. I was told by Ricoh that the 2610's "successor" is the AP600N (which costs twice as much!). Apparently, though, the 600N uses exactly the same duplex unit as the 2610 -- which suggests that it may be fundamentally the same printer in a new enclosure. At any rate, I haven't yet checked to see if the 2610 and the 600N use the same model toner cartridge, but that's a distinct possibility.

- Darcy

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn NY