Matthew,

Thanks for the comments. I agree about the third-party plugin developers
doing a great job and being very responsive -- though I have trouble with
the TGTools UI (see http://maltedmedia.com/photos/tgtools.gif).

At 09:09 AM 2/28/04 +1100, Matthew Hindson Fastmail Account wrote:
>Scroll view is one of the main reasons why I continue to stick with Finale,
>in spite of its getting slower (on the Mac) with every incarnation.  It's
>great for entering the music without worrying about page layout though I
>agree that its non-WYSIWYG nature is annoying at times.
>Sibelius doesn't have scroll view, and you get the situation where entering
>material in the last bar of a page will suddenly cause that bar to
>disappear - it's been pushed automatically to the next page.  Frustrating
>and annoying as hell: give me Finale Scroll View any day.

I agree that scroll view is valuable. It's my main entry mode, too. What I
meant was 'page view, scroll view emulation'. This would set page view
temporarily to an infinite width. Page-applied items won't be visible, but
all normal scroll activities will be both normal and positioned correctly.
It would need some work, of course, to make sure auto-update is disabled in
that mode, or that system breaks are shown with some sort of, say, color
gradation.

>> Stacking objects is long overdue (bring to front/top, bring
>> forward/backward, etc.).
>
>The Selection tool does seem to be OK at cycling through overlapping items
>to get what you want.

We just had an issue with wanting to break a slur through a time signature.
Unfortunately, the Finale doesn't allow it because it lacks front/back
stacking. It's a fixed order.

>The big winner for Finale at the moment in the school and education market
>is Finale Notepad.

Teachers like free stuff. I know that. I taught for six years. :)

>there are many extremely
>irritating things around in Sibelius too, such as slur behaviour and the
>RSI-inducing lack of handles.  By the time Sibelius gets to version 5,
>however...

As I understand it, it doesn't do new stuff very well (especially heavily
graphical scores). I played with importing some Finale files (after taking
Steve Gibons advice to make sure they were ETF), and it trashed spacing,
tuplets, complex time signatures, and placed graphics. I didn't look any
further; that was enough for me!

Dennis