Finale is driving me crazy these days, what with blank notation and
layer 2 spacing problems, and now I've got a file that reliably
crashes when you jump to a particular measure.

The file is here:

http://www.bway.net/~dfenton/Midi/Hoffmeister4_C.zip

(my ISP doesn't know that MUS files are binary, so I changed the
extension to ZIP so that it doesn't display it -- when you've
downloaded, just change the extension from ZIP to MUS)

Here's how to produce the error:

1. open the file in scroll view.

2. using the measure number at bottom, type in measure 452.

When I hit ENTER to navigate to that measure, Finale 2003 for Windows
crashes.

It's completely reliable. Anytime m. 452 is painted onscreen as the
leftmost measure, Finale crashes.

I've deleted the offending measure and recreated it.

I've deleted the measure before and recreated it.

I've run data checks on the file.

I've saved as ETF and opened the ETF, and the two steps above produce
exactly the same crash in the freshly opened ETF.

If anyone else has WinFin2K3 and can try the file, I'd like to know
if it crashes or not. If it doesn't, then it's something wrong with
my system. If it does, then it's something wrong with Finale.

I'd also be interested if it crashes on other versions of Finale.

I don't normally do 3-movement works in a single file, but I figured
that was a limitation of Finale from 10 years ago, back when one
movement alone was a big piece for Finale.

I never had any problems like this until this piece got large (it's
still only 606 measures, which doesn't seem that big to me!), and
then I had lots of problems (I lost some data in it at one point, but
thought that had been fixed.

The other annoying thing I've discovered is that an explicit save
doesn't really write to disk when you do it -- numerous times I've
lost data that I put in *before* an explicit forced save when a crash
happened a few minutes after I saved.

Needless to say, my confidence in Finale is rather greatly shaken
here.