I'm doing a Pachelbel Canon arrangement (for a wedding gig -- I
certainly wouldn't do it for fun!), and want to automatically number
each time through the ground. I want the first numbered 1, the second
(m. 9) 2, the third (m. 17), 3, and so forth.

Is there any automatic way of doing this at all, or am I stuck with
putting the in manually?

I'd think there'd be some kind of method for this in EDIT MEASURE
REGIONS, but I don't see anything that will do anything other than
just repeat the measure numbers. What I want is (N-1)/8 for my
measure number.

Is this a manual operation or not?