That's not good.  For comparison, here's my output:

[ldx3:~] hansen% head /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status
Package: dillo
Section: web

Package: vim
Section: editors

It's supposed to be a text file, as you can see, so something looks wrong.
Try the following:  do a 'head /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status-old' (it's a backup
file).  If that gives you something sensible, then do 'sudo cp
/sw/var/lib/dpkg/status-old /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status'.  At that point you
should be able to try to update again.  I've cc'ed the mailing list to see
if anybody else has additional ideas for you.

If it doesn't work you may need to try installing fink again.

--
Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University