On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Alexander K. Hansen wrote:

On 4/6/06, Hisashi T Fujinaka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Romy Schneider wrote:

I'm trying to install xfree86 on a new MacBook Pro.  I haven't installed any
other versions of X11 yet (including the one on the Apple disk).  The install
plugs along happily for quite a while and then ends with:
/sw/var/lib/dpkg/info/xfree86.postinst: line 23: 17544
Segmentation fault      /usr/X11R6/bin/fc-cache
/sw/bin/dpkg: error processing xfree86 (--install):
subprocess post-installation script returned error
exit status 139
xfree86
### execution of /sw/bin/dpkg-lockwait failed, exit
code 1
Failed: can't batch-install packages:
/sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-i386/x11-system/xfree86_4.5.0-1024_darwin-i386.deb
/sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-i386/x11-system/xfree86-shlibs_4.5.0-1024_darwin-i386.deb

When I try an "install xfree86" again or a "update xfree86" it says its
attempting to replace it, then fails very quickly with what looks like a
similar error.  When I try to remove it, it says xfree86 is not installed.
I'm stuck, suggestions?

This is similar to behaviour I've seen with xorg. I've gotten it to work
two ways:

1) delete everything X and start over with Apple's X11. This includes
    everything that has dependencies on X. It's a long slog by hand and
    it'll be easier to delete everything and start over.

2) delete everything X and start over with xfree86 or xorg with NO
    BINDIST. This means COMPILE EVERYTHING YOURSELF. The bindist was
    made with Apple's X11 and will not (for me anyway) work with xfree86
    or xorg.

This has historically _not_ been the case, however, except for tetex.
All other packages have had no problems with the user having a newer
flavor of X11 than Apple's--at least on PowerPCs.

Of course, since there isn't an official Fink binary distro for intel
yet, if you're mixing and matching with PowerPC stuff there's bound to
be trouble.

So what you're saying is that the 0.24.15 bindist has ppc binaries, and
trying to use fink on a stock 0.24.15 Intel installation gives you ppc
binaries mixed in with the Intel binaries. That sounds bad.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - [EMAIL PROTECTED]