> On Jun 19, 2017, at 22:57, Marc Boxerman <mboxer...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> Alexander,
>
> Very odd:  I set the maximum number of simultaneous build jobs to 1 and
> openmpi compiled.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marc

I’m glad that worked.

It’s actually not too odd.  Some build systems aren’t really set up for
multi-threaded builds.  For example, if one make procedure generates a file
which is needed in a second procedure, and both are running simultaneously,
there’s a good chance that the file won’t get generated by the first procedure
in time for the second procedure, and the latter will then error out.

These issues can be hard to find during testing, because a maintainer’s setup
might not trigger the error, but a machine that can run more build jobs will
divide things up in a different way so that they get out of sync.   We rely on
community feedback to help out.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison