Thanks for the detailed reoprt. We are aware of this potential
problem for anybody who installs a custom perl, however, I believe
there is nothing we can currently do about this (besides posting
instructions similar to your to our web page someplace). Feel free to
corrct me.

Note that the new GCC 3 compiler induces similar problem, althogh
much more severe as many more packages are affected. In both cases,
there is not much we can do regarding the binary distro or anything
else. The fact that users can switch back and forth between GCC 2 and
3 makes our live even harder, since it is now in question what a 10.2
distribution of Fink would look like... should we make it gcc2 or
gcc3 based? Both approaches have merits and drawbacks. No matter what
we do, some people would be locked out.

But does your email mean you want to imply that one day Apple will
ship an OS release with any other Perl than 5.6.0? I certainly would
be glad, even a move to say 5.6.1 would be nice, but nothing I saw or
heard(sadly) indicates so.

Max
Max Horn
Software Developer