On my machine, inetd is running rather thatn xinetd. So are you sure that
this would actually work?

Because you have no services for it. It checks at boot time. (see your console.log)

inetd is obsolete, xinetd comes with Jaguar and is preferred (though startup items are more preferred)

The maintainer of xinetd happens to be Rob Braun, so you can bring your xinetd questions to #opendarwin. :)

-Ben

Now, if we could just figure out why Apple didn't remove the inetd line from /System/Library/IPServices/IPServices...

:)

--
JD