Am I missing something?

I don't understand why you have a Pass field at all. Default passwords are evil, and are an obvious route for attackers. Perhaps Pass should be a flag to indicate that Fink should prompt the user for a password? That's still rotten, IMHO, but infinitely better than having default passwords.

The usual procedure is to use "*" as the crypted password for daemon accounts, indicating that nobody may log in using that account directly. IIRC, a blank password crypt usually means that no password is required for login, yes? That would be very bad.

Chris