okay after much thought and lots of discussion with other developers this is a great idea and i just want the run it by.

all pkgs needed users/groups will depends on sort of bundle pkgs.

user-<username> or group-<groupname>

these pkgs will control the users on a system, there will check to make sure they exist and keep the info current and the same across the board.

then as my code currently does, when building a pkg it will get a list of perms and set all files to user 0 and group 0, so all debs are the same and it will create a postinstall script to set the perms to the required values, and since the user-* and group-* pkgs are depends they need to be installed prior to this, also they can't be removed unless that are no longer needed, and not all users/groups need to be on every system.

in this system uids and gids are not important and thus no db is needed for this, and it's easy to add users and groups for maintainers.

also there will no longer be a random gen password, it will be a crypt pass or it will be blank which will mean a locked user which will be most common.

any comments please respond I'd like to get this code done for the end of the week.